Yu Yunicorn, the next flagship mobile phone from the Indian company Yu Televentures finally got official today. The Yunicorn that was earlier scheduled to arrive on the 19th May had to see a delay due to the election results but the handset has finally arrived now. The new Yunicorn handset comes with a new build and design, features Yu’s own custom UI that interesting is named as ‘Android on Steroids (AOS)’ and YU Cloud and Wallet. The Yunicorn smartphone will be exclusively available online on the e-commerce website Flipkart. Read on to get more details about YU Yunicorn price, specs, features and all other details.
The company has come up with an all new design language with their first smartphone of 2016 – the Yunicorn. The smartphone features an all metal (aluminum alloy) build with a brushed aluminum back. The handset is just 8.15mm thick. The Yunicorn houses the fingerprint scanner on the front of the device, with the power button and the volume rocker keys placed on the right edge. The smartphone features a striking similarity to the Meizu m3 Note but we do not complain as it does look better than the previous YU flagship Yutopia.
YU Yunicorn Mobile Phone Specifications
Moving on to the Yu Yunicorn specs and features, the smartphone sports a 5.5 inch full HD IPS display on the front that has a resolution of 1920 × 1080 pixels that translates into a pixel density of 401 ppi. The display also has a 2.5D curved glass display on top. It is powered by an octa core MediaTek Helio P10 processor that is clocked at a speed of 1.8GHz. The processor is further clubbed with 4GB of RAM space and Mali T860 GPU to look after multi tasking and improved graphical performance. With this the smartphone further offers 32GB of internal storage space that can be further expanded up to an extra 128GB using a microSD card.
YU Yunicorn Camera, Battery
The Yu Yunicorn camera department consists of a 13MP primary camera on the rear side that will come with f/2.2 aperture, auto-focus, PDAF and support 1080p video recording. On the front of the handset, there will be a 5MP secondary camera for selfies and video chats, it will have f/2.0 aperture.
The Yunicorn will be fueled by a 4,000mAh battery that the company claims will offer 2 days of battery life with 2 days of heavy usage. The battery also comes with the Fast Charging feature.
Yu has also chosen to provide its own custom UI running on the Yunicorn and the company calls it AOS – Android on Steroids. It comes with various features like – Vertical App Drawer, Single Sign In, Quick Music Toggles, Monochrome Mode, No Bloatware, Integrated Search Bar, One Tap Back Up etc.
YU Yunicorn PROs and CONs
Yu has managed to impress us with its latest Yu Yunicorn mobile phone, the company has worked on the shortcomings of its older smartphones and now come up with a handset that looks like a worthy upgrade over its older ones. In this category we will list some of the things that we like about the new YU smartphone and a few things that we feel could have been better. Check the Yu Yunicorn pros and cons below –
- Build and Design – To keep things simple and sweet, this is the best looking smartphone to have come from the house of the Indian smartphone manufacturer. The design though looks inspired from a few other Chinese smartphones but the handset feels premium in hand. The device is sturdy, looks fantastic and is available in three color variants of – rush silver, rush gold and charcoal.
- OS – In the yunicorn mobile phone, the company has for the first time used its own custom UI which is mostly similar to the stock UI and comes with some interesting tweaks and additions.
- YU Cloud and Wallet – With the new yu yunicorn handset, the company has also introduced its Yu Cloud and Wallet services.
- Design looks copied – Well, ‘inspired’ is just a humble way to say ‘copied’ and the device does look like a few other Chinese handsets like the Oppo F1 Plus, Redmi Note 2 and Meizu m3 Note. The design team at Yu could have worked harder to come up with something more interesting and fresh.
- Camera – The one department that has always disappointed me using YU smartphones is its camera performance and the Yunicorn sadly is not any exception. The handset was promoted as a device that will ‘redefine flagship smartphones’ and the camera performance at least falls way short to second those claims.
YU Yunicorn Price, Buy on Flipkart
The company has set the YU Yunicorn price at Rs. 12,999 and the smartphone will be exclusively available on the e-commerce website Flipkart. The registrations for the first sale will start at 2:00 PM, 31st May, on Flipkart. On paper, the YU Yunicorn looks like a very capable smartphone and YU has managed to do a praise worthy job with the design and the custom OS too. But we will have to wait to see how the smartphone performs in real world usage to deliver a final verdict about the yunicorn mobile phone that we will do in our Yu Yunicorn Review later. Tell us what do you think of the Yu Yunicorn mobile phone in the comments section below.